Additional comments from Jerome Powell, Chair of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, are crossing the wires as he continues to speak at The Economic Club of Washington.
- Fed doesn’t take political factors into consideration in discussions or decisions.
- Not bothered by criticism from President Trump.
- No invitation to meet with president Trump yet.
- Not aware of any Fed Chair turning down meeting invitation from the White House.
- If economic data warrants it, Fed can move policy flexibly and quickly.
- Financial market turbulence seems rooted in concerns over trade, global growth.
- Underlying economic data does not point to slowdown.